Mapa das Ideias (MI) is a Portuguese private-owned company, founded in 1999. Its expertise in museum and cultural communication has lead to the creation and development of mediation tools and projects, working with very different institutions and fields:
1) Mediation tools such as exhibit school catalogue, games, pedagogical kits. All projects are submitted to evaluation which permits the maintenance of a high level of innovation in all fields, reinforced by a network of free lance.
2) Educational and mediation activities and programmes (direct relation with the visitors and learners). The excellence of the work has been recognized as two museums have received the awards of Best Educational Service of the Year through projects developed or implemented by MI.
3) Special projects like school exhibits, in partnership with Cassefaz, sponsored by Vodafone (on its 5th edition with an average of 120,000 viewers each) and the non-profit “Triennial Movimento Desenho 2012″. This project, in partnership with Art Assets, involved more than 100 institutions nation-wide that dealt with Drawing. Besides the theme, the most important feature was the network promoted through 4 national meetings in 18 months, between free lancers, artists, small fringe associations and museums, cultural centers, as well as schools and universities.
4) Training courses in Museum Mediation and related fields. The first “Communicating in the Museum” short-course was created in 2003. After this experience’s evaluation, a first version of a Museum Mediators course with 104 hours started in 2008. In 2010, after several editions, a thorough evaluation lead to a new shorter version. Through the LLP/ Grundvtig Programme, this course was adapted to the European reality: Museum Mediators Europe and is now the keystone of a Leonardo Transfer of Innovation Project running until 2014.
5) Media Literacy started in 2008, developing pilot projects in schools and a certified course for teachers. Tools such as critical analysis (deconstruction) and creative production (stop-motion animation, musicals, documentary and exhibition development) were used in Museum settings by MI.
To learn more, visit our website.